Ocean Safari in Cape Tribulation offers the full holiday package. This multiple award winning, eco-friendly business provides an exciting Great Barrier Reef experience, rainforest accommodation in their Safari Lodge and a family-friendly place to enjoy food and drinks at the Turtle Rock cafe.
Their reef experience involves snorkelling the pristine Great Barrier Reef off the Daintree Coast at Cape Tribulation. This half day eco-tour visits two different snorkel destinations, each with an extraordinary array of marine life and coral species. After a 25 minute boat ride, you are ready to snorkel two fabulous locations at Mackay and Undine Reefs. On most days, you can snorkel alongside sea turtles, found in abundance swimming over reefs full of colourful coral, along with tropical fish, eagle rays, giant clams and starfish. The tour begins at Cape Tribulation beach where you board the vessel bound for the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef. The Ocean Safari vessel takes a maximum of 25 passengers allowing guests to experience tropical paradise and the pleasure of a small group. The vessel is based on the original design of a rescue craft and is a rigid inflatable boat driven by 700hp engines. The experienced Skipper and Eco Host ensure the trip is filled with fun and appreciation of the Great Barrier Reef and the coastal Rainforest of the Daintree – two World Heritage areas side by side.
The Ocean Safari check-in office is also home to Safari Lodge. Situated just 400 metres from the beach, the Safari Lodge offers both Safari Huts and camp sites in the tropical Cape Tribulation Rainforest and is the perfect base for exploring this famous region. The Safari Lodge offers comfortable and affordable accommodation and a range of facilities in the tropical Rainforest including a swimming pool, fully equipped camp kitchen, amenities block with toilets and showers and laundry. Sleep in the jungle and enjoy the sounds of the Rainforest at night, or rise early to experience the sunrise over beautiful Myall beach only minutes away.
Also located onsite, the Turtle Rock Cafe offers fresh wholesome food, great coffee and outdoor dining in a casual friendly atmosphere. The menu includes healthy sandwiches and wraps, burgers, cakes, muffins and delicious meals made to order. The Turtle Rock Cafe aims to showcase the wide variety of delicious produce the Tropical North Queensland region has to offer, using Malanda milk, farm fresh eggs and cheese from the Southern Tablelands, Mareeba grown coffee and locally grown exotic fruits. You are welcome to order lunch from the boat and have it waiting for you to enjoy under the Rainforest canopy on your return.
The Ocean Safari team are passionate ambassadors for ecologically sustainable tourism and their efforts have been recognised nationally and internationally.
Awards and accreditations include:
- 2018 Australian Tourism Awards Silver Winner – Tour and Transport Operators.
- 2018 Queensland Tourism Awards Gold Winner – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2017 Silver Winner Queensland Tourism Awards – Tour and Transport Operators
- 2016 Bronze Winner Queensland Tourism Awards – Steve Irwin Award for Ecotourism
- TripAdvisor: Ocean Safari is listed as #1 of 18 Things To Do in Cape Tribulation on TripAdvisor, has a Certificate of Excellence 2019 for consistently achieving a ‘5 out of 5’ rating from guests on the daily Great Barrier Reef tours and is a proud recipient of a prestigious Hall of Fame certificate.
- Advanced Ecotourism Certified: Ocean Safari has received Advanced Eco Certification for its Great Barrier Reef snorkelling tours. ECO Certification is a world first initiative, developed by industry for industry, addressing the need to identify genuine nature tourism and ecotourism products in Australia. Nature tourism and ecotourism experiences offer stimulating insights into Australia’s natural areas, leaving minimal impacts afterwards. Advanced Ecotourism operators are Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
- GSTC Approved: Ocean Safari is also Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) approved. GSTC are an independent body that establishes and manages global standards for sustainability in travel and tourism with the aim of increasing sustainable tourism knowledge and practices. The GSTC Approved tick means that our ECO certified products are certified under a certification program, namely Ecotourism Australia’s ECO certification, is using a Global Sustainable Tourism Council -recognised standard, is following processes and procedures that have been reviewed and approved by the GSTC, and that the certification procedures largely meet international standards for transparency, impartiality, and competence.
Eye On The Reef: Ocean Safari participates in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority study, “Eye on the Reef “program. This monitoring program is the largest of its kind and relies on a strong relationship between The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, marine tourism operators such as ourselves who conduct Great Barrier Reef tours and the reef research community. It is an ongoing exercise in collecting and documenting marine life, water temperatures and coral health. Visit Eye On The Reef for more information.
Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef: We, the Citizens of the Reef, are determined to protect this unique natural wonder, but we need your support. Wherever you live in the world, get involved and make a difference: Become a Citizen of the Great Barrier Reef. As a visitor to the reef/region you have already taken the first step. Together we will raise awareness and drive change to secure the future of this breathtaking ecosystem for generations to come. Build the movement by engaging your community and friends; support local conservation efforts; learn about the Great Barrier Reef and its threats; and aspire to a lifestyle where the decisions you make at home serve to secure the future of the reef and our planet. We can’t wait for someone else to sort it out. Become a Citizen today at citizensgbr.org
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA): The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park protects and preserves the largest and richest system of coral reefs in the world. It incorporates most of Australia’s north-eastern continental shelf. Ocean Safari has GBRMPA permits in order to visit the marine park on our daily Great Barrier Reef tours and each passenger pays an Environmental Management Charge (EMC) fee as part of the price of their fare. These fees are vitally important in the day-to-day management of the Marine Park and in improving its long-term resilience.